Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day, Daughters, CBS Sunday Morning, RC Cola's & Slim Jims

Happy Fathers Day!
I never really knew my biological Father, though I did see him a few times during his lifetime he never had time in his life for me. Today looking back on my childhood I realize that I was luckier than most little girls were, you see I actually got to pick who would be my Daddy. As I look back and remember this Fathers Day the man in my life that stepped in and became my Father on Easter Sunday 1960,  when I looked at him and asked him if he would be my Daddy. At the time I was of the very intellectual age of 3. That is the day that William Edward Debnam became my Father, and I have never regretted one day of being his Daughter.Yes somehow at the ripe old age of 3 all of my instincts told me I needed a Father in my life, and that Ed Debnam would be the best Father any little girl could ever wish for.

I instantly became Daddy's Very Spoiled Little Girl. Everyday of my childhood life began with Daddy making me breakfast which was normally pancakes with ham or bacon. During the school year he would take me to school, pick me up from school for lunch, take me back to school after lunch, and again pick me up after school. Daddy would give me 6 cents every afternoon after school and I would go to the drugstore and get a cherry coke the real kind from the old time counter fountain machine. Now you need to realize that when I was attending Beulah Beal Elementary School, the school was only 1 1/2 blocks away from our house.

I loved and still cherish the weekends that I spent as a child with my Daddy the best. Saturdays were always reserved for either Fishing, Hunting, or just going swimming sometimes Mama would come along but usually it was just me and Daddy. On our Saturday outings breakfast would be an RC Cola, a bag of peanuts and a Slim Jim and if we were headed fishing we would drive by the entrance of the Jacksonville Zoo and get 2 bags of boiled peanuts. To this day that is still probably my favorite breakfast. Sunday mornings were the best, after breakfast and reading the comic sections of the Sunday Jacksonville Times Union together, I would sit in the big leather chair next to my Daddy and we would watch CBS Sunday Morning together before going to church. After all these years it is just not Sunday morning without turning on the TV and watching CBS Sunday Morning.

I lost my Father on Thanksgiving Day 1978. I cherish each and every day that he dedicated his life to me as my Father and every wonderful memory that he created for me. Every little girl should be as lucky to have a Father that is as dedicated to her as my Daddy was to me.

Happy Fathers Day Daddy, I love and miss you.Your loving daughter,
Claudia Sue.

No comments: