Sunday, July 17, 2011

Miss Mandy's Homemade Southern Vanilla Extract

This is a recipe that was given to me by my Grandma or "Miss Mandy", as she was affectionately known to everyone in Hart County Georgia. Grandma used to tell me wonderful stories about the Civil War and the Great Depression,  as I would sit next to her on the settee.We lost Grandma back in 1964 at the age of 98  and how I would love to talk with her today about the life she lived. So here is Grandma's Vanilla Extract Recipe however,  I have substituted Vodka for Shine, unless of course you have a good outlet for some fine Shine.

You will need 6 Vanilla Beans, which can be purchased at most grocery stores these days, 1 Pint Bottle of Vodka or Clear Shine, and several small bottles with screw on lids which you can purchase on line, in craft stores, or at some home goods stores.

MISS MANDY'S HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT

6 Vanilla Beans.
1 Pint Vodka of Clear Shine.
Rub the beans with the dull edge of a knife to evenly distribute the seeds inside the beans, then cut the beans in half lengthwise. Place the beans in the bottle of Vodka or Shine, now you might need to take a little sip or two out of that bottle to have room for the beans. Seal the bottle tightly and set in a cool place for four to six months. You will need to shake the bottle at least once per month,  or if you prefer every time that you notice the bottle always works for me. This will help the extract mix and mellow. The once clear Vodka or Shine will turn a nice deep brown. When the extract is ready to use I like to have several small bottles available that I have cleaned and sterilized with screw on lids to fill with the homemade vanilla extract. This also makes great Hostess Gifts, and Christmas Gifts when accompanied by a small gift tag. If you do give these out as Hostess Gifts, please label them as "Miss Mandy's Vanilla Extract", in remembrance of one fine Southern Lady.

I like to make several batches at a time because I keep them on hand as Hostess Gifts.

Enjoy!

No comments: