Sunday, September 18, 2011

Why Bless My Little Pea-Pickin' Heart!

"Why bless her little pea-pickin' heart",  is a phrase that I have grown up with down here in the south and have heard to referenced to myself on many of an occasion. This is a phrase that all true Southern women add when they are saying something vaguely insulting. Nonetheless, I find it a strangely charming affectation.

I am sure that at times my neighbors have thought that I have totally lost it..what ever it is, or perhaps that I wasn't the smartest of human beings to start with and of that fact they probably have been correct. After all I have been known to work in my garden under the moon light, go fishing at night, and yes even go hunting at night but simply because it is just too hot and humid during the day. " Why her porch light doesn't shine very bright, why bless her little pea-pickin' heart!

My Mother could always take this phrase to new heights whenever I would pout or whine as a child, saying in Southern tones dripping with pure mock sympathy, "Well, bless your little pea-pickin heart, you have got it just so bad! Hearing this always made me realize that I was either being rude or ungrateful and sometimes both.

By now,  my Bow knows all of my porch light's eccentricities so I feel that I have nothing to hide and have become something of an open book. After all, I have been known to wrinkle my nose at the idea of a dozen long stem red roses and a candlelight dinner for two at some romantic and expensive restaurant,  but have squealed with excitement and delight when he brought me a Carrot Stick Fishing Rod.

So on this beautiful Sunday afternoon in September, "Bless all your little pea-pickin hearts", though I am sure that you are never rude or ungrateful but lovely and kind. Why if your comments about my blog are anything to go by, the readers of my blog are the soul of graciousness and gentle wit.

No comments: